Sources for garden soil in bulk (cubic yards)
We’ve compiled a link of nurseries and garden centers that provide bulk quantities of garden soil in the far western suburbs of Chicago. The list includes price per cubic yard, garden soil “ingredients” (typically topsoil and mushroom compost) and contact information. Use this soil in raised beds or to build up and enrich your in-ground beds.
You can also search for retailers selling Purple Cow organic compost in bags here.
Here is a link to our “Organic Gardening” 2015 class handout.
Other helpful gardening links
- Listing of soil testing labs
- Precipitation amounts
- Planting dates
- Crop-by-Crop Growing Guide – Excellent overview of how to grow any kind of vegetable, from Asian greens to winter squash. Includes information on: varieties to try; planting, harvesting and storage; and pest and disease prevention.
- Planting Depths and Stale Bedding Tips – Sweet Home video discusses planting depths for kale and tomato plants, stale bedding and tools for weed management.
- Growing Tomatoes Video Tips – Video discusses planting depths, organic fertilizers and various support systems. Basket weave support video. Pruning video. Pruning article.
- Hardening Off Seedlings – Outlines steps in completing the hardening off process.
- Preparing Potatoes for Planting – Video discusses cutting potatoes before planting, why it’s helpful to buy ‘seed’ potatoes*, and planting depths. *Look for seed potatoes that are certified disease-free. This will help avoid introducing soil-borne diseases to your garden.
- Container Gardening – Decent overview of plants that grow well in containers, pot depths required and watering considerations.
- Sweet Potatoes – How to harvest and cure for best flavor and storage. Check out this link for an organic resource for sweet potato slips.
- A dear friend, Chris Blanchard, offers an engaging podcast (Farmer to Farmer) where he interviews a full range of farming pioneers and newbies. So many topics and layers to their discussions. It’s a GREAT listen!
- Eliott Coleman’s books about organic gardening
- NOFA Guides Set: Organic Soil-Fertility and Weed Management and NOFA Guides Set: Crop Rotation and Cover Cropping: Soil Resiliency both about Organic Principles and Practices
- Rodale’s Vegetable Garden Problem Solver – Fern Marshall Bradley
- Growing at the Speed of Life by Graham Kerr
(Note: We do not advocate the use of Roundup (an herbicide), as mentioned by the author on page 21, to kill grass. It can be killed (often more effectively) using the methods discussed via this link.)
- How to Grow More Vegetables by John Jeavons
- The New Self-Sufficient Gardener by John Seymour
- Carrots Love Tomatoes & Roses Love Garlic: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening – Louise Riotte
- The All-New Illustrated Guide to Gardening: Now All Organic! – Trevor Cole and Fern Marshall Bradley